ACEDB Main Window
This help contains information on how to use the ACEDB Main
For more general help refer to these pages:
To exit the program, choose Quit from the menu in
the Main Window.
The Main Window presents a list of Classes, which are the categories
around which information is organized in the database.
For example, a class called "Locus" could
be designed to store information about genetic markers. Each class
consists of a list of members called "objects". The objects named ABC1
and xyz-1 might be members of the Locus class.
By default all visible classes (as specified in
displayed in the class chooser. The way classes are presented is
configurable on the layout editor
by clicking the button "Set Selection"
The Main Window lets you find objects in the database in several
1. You can pick a visible Class by clicking with the left
mouse button. Clicking again will give a list of the names of all
objects in that class in the Main KeySet,
also called a Selection List. You can restrict this list by typing a
template in the yellow Search box. When you press the RETURN key you
obtain all names matching the text in the yellow box. Name recognition
usually is not case sensitive, except if this option was explicitly
requested by the database curator. Do not be too fancy. Named are
recognized as-is, backslashes quotes and punctuation will be assumed to
belong to the name. However ? and * are used as wildcards:
To actually display an object you must pick its name twice in
the Main KeySet. A new window will open containing more information
about the object. The new window might contain text or be a special display, like a genetic map.
- * in the template will match anything; e.g. "S*" will match all
names beginning with 'S', "*S*" will match all names containing an
'S', "*a*b" all names containing an 'A' and ending with a 'B'.
- ? in the template will match any single character, e.g. "???"
will match all names that are exactly three characters long.
2. You can search the database by typing a text
string in the Text Search box (first click on it with the left button
to make it yellow). This will find all the objects in the database
which contain the search text. More precisely, we find all objects
whose name contains the search string, all objects that refer to this
object, and all objects containing searchable Text (or other X class
data) containing the search string.
3. You can pick any other class Class by filing the
search box and then clicking on the black triangle following the
words in Class: with the left or the right mouse button.
In addition the Main Window menu allows access to other
applications and functions of ACEDB, many of which have
their own help:
The following entries only exist if your username is registered in
- Quit: Quits entire program.
- Help: Displays this help page.
- Clean up: Kills all ACEDB windows except Main.
- Program Status: Info on
- Add Update file: To read official data Update.
- Preferences: To configure your display preferences.
- Query: Opens Query
- Query by Examples: Opens Query by Example window.
- Query builder: Opens Query Builder window.
- Table Maker: Opens TableMaker window.
- DNA: Opens DNA
- Chronometer: Opens Chronometer window, for timing ACEDB
activities (for programmers).
- Sequence Assembly and Mapping: Available with
the Acembly program.
- Comparative maps: A set of tools developed
by John Edwards and Joe Dicks to compare chromosomes from
different species, also called Oxgrids .
- Add/Delete/Rename/Alias Objects: Opens window for adding and editing objects.
- Read .ace files: Opens
.ace file parser for reading in data.
- Align maps: Opens Align window for building maps.
- Read Models: Run this after modifying
- Dump: Dumps entire
database in ace format.
- Session control: To preserve or backtrack to an earlier
state of the database. This tool can also be used to recover the database
in the rare case of a fatal disk error, see Session_control
- Write Access/Save: Toggle to get write access or save data to database. Save commits changes permanently and releases write access.
Keyboard Short Cuts
This section details the short cuts and actions that are standard to all acedb windows.
to Table of Contents
- Cntl - h Show help page for window.
- Cntl - p Print the window
- Cntl - s Save the window
- Cntl - w Close the window
- Cntl - q Quit acedb
last edited: April 1999